Twelfth Session of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
United Nations Social Development Network (UNSDN)
Fifty-First Session of the Commission for Social Development
Write the UN World Youth Report 2013 with us!
High-Level Meeting of the General Assembly on Disability and Development
ECOSOC President Miloš Koterec will chair the opening session of the High-level Segment of the Council, which will focus, among other topics on promoting productive capacity and decent work; reviewing trends and promoting coherence and effectiveness in development cooperation, and discussing the state of the world economy and its implications for the achievement of the United Nations development agenda.
The High-level Segment (HLS), held at the United Nations Office in New York from 2 to 9 July 2012, will focus on a broad range of issues relevant to the implementation of the UN development agenda:
- The Annual Ministerial Review (AMR) focuses on "Promoting productive capacity and decent work to eradicate poverty in the context of inclusive, sustainable and equitable economic growth at all levels for achieving the Millennium Development Goals".
- The Development Cooperation Forum (DCF) will run 5-6 July, reviewing trends and promoting coherence and effectiveness in international development cooperation.
Nine countries – Algeria, Brazil, Ecuador, Kenya, Mauritius, Qatar, Russia, Senegal and Ukraine – are makingNational Voluntary Presentation (NVPs) in which they will present assessment of national progress made towards the achievement of the internationally agreed development goals (IADGs), including the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
- The Thematic roundtable focuses on “Implementing effective macroeconomic policies for employment creation”. It is based on the related Report of the Secretary-General, which draws on inputs from the entire UN system. Participants in the roundtable will identify and analzye macroeconomic policies that have proven most effective for the enhancement of productive capacity, the promotion of full and productive employment and realization of sustainable development objectives. Policy measures that can contribute to sustained, inclusive and equitable economic growth will also be highlighted.
- At the High-level policy dialogue on 3 July, the Executive Heads of the international financial and trade institutions will discuss the state of the world economy and its implications for the achievement of the United Nations development agenda.
- A High-level panel discussion on transparency and sustainable development will be organized on 9 July.
- Ministerial roundtable breakfasts will be held on 3, 5 and 6 July. A series of side events, organized by Member States, international and civil society organizations, will also take place.
The outcome of the 2012 AMR session will be a Ministerial Declaration on "Promoting productive capacity and decent work to eradicate poverty in the context of inclusive, sustainable and equitable economic growth at all levels for achieving the Millennium Development Goals".
Empowering People Through
DESA News: Interview with Tonya Gonnella Frichner, former member of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
The upcoming 2013 World Youth Report (WYR) on Youth Migration and Development will offer a multidimensional account and/or perspective of the life experiences of young migrants and young people affected by migration. To learn more about the report click here.
UNDESA-DSPD does not hire directly. Official recruitment, job offers, and employment are conducted through the UN Careers website. Read More