In resolution 47/90 of 16 December 1992, the General Assembly proclaims "the first Saturday of July 1995 to be International Day of Cooperatives, marking the centenary of the establishment of the International Cooperative Alliance, and decides to consider the possibility of observing an international day of cooperatives in future years".
International Day of Cooperatives, 7 July 2012
"Cooperative enterprises build a better world" - "Les coopératives, des entreprises pour un monde meilleur" - "Las empresas cooperativas ayudan a construir un mundo mejor". This year's theme links to the observance of the United Nations International Year of Cooperatives. It seeks to encourage the growth and establishment of cooperatives all over the world, and to recognize the actions of cooperatives in helping to achieve internationally agreed upon development goals, such as the Millennium Development Goals.
As part of the Year, a short film festival will take place on 19 November at UN Headquarters during the closing ceremony of the IYC. Filmmakers around the world are invited to submit their contributions by 30 September 2012. The films should raise awareness about cooperatives – what they are, and what they do – and encourage support and development of cooperative enterprises by individuals and their communities. The films should also highlight at least one of the 10 key messages of the International Year of Cooperatives. Please see the links below for more details.
- Message of the United Nations Secretary-General English | French | Spanish | Chinese | Russian | Arabic
- Watch also the United Nations Secretary-General's video message on the International Day of Cooperatives 2012 (in English only)
Co-operatives around the world celebrate the Day in many different ways. Below are examples of some of the activities organised by co-operatives around the world:
- The messages of the ICA and United Nations are translated into local languages and widely disseminated to co-operators, media, government officials at all level.
- Co-operatives use newspapers and radio programmes to create awareness on their movements and contributions.
- Co-operative Fairs, exhibits, contests, and campaigns are held.
- Meetings with government officials, United Nations agencies and other partner organisations are held.
- Co-operatives partner with community agencies to champion economic, environmental, social and health challenges (blood drives, tree planting, etc.)
- Cultural events are sponsored - theatre, concerts, etc.
For more information:
International Day of Cooperatives
International Year of Cooperatives 2012
International Year of Cooperatives Short Film Festival