Twelfth Session of the Permanent Forum
20 - 31 May 2013
UN Headquarters, New York
Special Theme: Review Year
***The online pre-registration is NOW Closed***
1. Election of Officers.
2. Adoption of the agenda and organization of work.
3. Follow-up on the recommendations of the Permanent Forum:
4. Half-day discussion on the African region.
5. Comprehensive dialogue with United Nations agencies and funds.
6. Discussion on the World Conference on Indigenous Peoples.
7. Human rights:
(a) Implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of
(b) Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous
peoples and the Chair of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of
8. Future work of the Permanent Forum, including issues of the Economic
and Social Council and emerging issues.
9. Draft agenda for the thirteenth session of the Permanent Forum.
10. Adoption of the report of the Permanent Forum on its twelfth session.
Proposed Organization of Work for the Twelfth Session
AR | EN | ES | FR | RU | ZH
The 12th session will take place in the Trusteeship Council Chamber in the newly renovated Conference Building.
To access the Trusteeship Council Chamber you must:
1. Pass through the white security tent at the UN Visitors’ Entrance at 1st Avenue and E. 45th Street into the lobby(this is where registration will take place, dates and times listed below)
2. Exit the lobby and walk toward the outdoor stairway located at the back of the visitors’ plaza facing the river.
3. Once you reach the bottom of the stairs turn right and follow the path to the Conference Building (If you turn left you will reach the North Lawn Building, where some side events will take place and where you will find a café and seating areas on the upper level).
4. Once you are in the Conference Building you will have to go up to the 3rd floor to access the Trusteeship Council Chamber. This can be done via the elevators/lifts or the escalators. The escalators are located at the far end of the corridor that can take you up to the third floor.
5. When you reach the 3rd floor turn left out of the elevator/lift/escalaors and you will reach the Chamber.
• The Trusteeship Council Chamber is only accessible via the 3rd floor (in the back/upper level of the chamber). If you require wheelchair access or have trouble with stairs, please ask one of the UN security officers for the nearest accessible route.
• The speakers’ list sign up table will be located outside the 3rd floor entrance to the Trusteeship Council Chamber.
• In the event we have an overflow room, the ECOSOC Chamber entrance is also located on the 3rd floor of the Conference Building, next to the Trusteeship Council Chamber. All other conference rooms are accessible via level 1B, the level where you enter/exit the building. Please check our website, bulletin boards in the Conference Building, or announcements during the session.
• A cafeteria is available for your use on floor 1, in the lobby of the Secretariat Building. This is also available via the elevators/lifts and escalators.
>>>Information for Participation
Registration for grounds passes will take place in the Main Lobby as follows:
|Sunday 19 May
||12.00p.m. to 5:00p.m.
|Monday 20 May
||8.00 a.m. to 3:45p.m.
|Tuesday 21 May
||9.00a.m. to 3:45p.m.
|Remainder of the Session
||9:30 a.m.-3:45 p.m.
Please note that this year we will have three lines at the registration desk for participants:
a. Blue line for NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC
b. Orange Line for New IPOs and Academics
c. Green line for Returning IPOs and Academics
The Registration Desk will be closed every day from 12.30 to 2:00 p.m. accordingly; no ground-pass will be issued during this time. Exceptionally, registration may be conducted during lunch-break if a large number of people are still in line.
The Permanent Forum is going PaperSmart:
In the interest of reducing the carbon footprint of the organization, the United Nations has introduced Paper Smart. The information about the meetings will be available in various digital formals - through an e-Portal - with print-on-demand services in meetings rooms.
What does this mean?
1) We will not have any documents available in the conference room during the Permanent Forum sessions.
2) All documents will be available electronically in all six official UN languages;
3) If you would like to have a hard copy, you can request a printed version from conference services, in any of the six official UN languages.
This will greatly reduce the amount of paper, without causing inconvenience to those who need printed copies of the documents. Click here for more information about PaperSmart.
The twelfth session PaperSmart page will become active six weeks prior to the start of the Twelfth Session.