Academia plays a pivotal role in strengthening cooperatives. Some of the activities that academia could engage in include:
- research on the links between cooperative contributions and achievements of development goals;
- research and dissemination of cooperative activities, good practices and lessons learned;
- inclusion of cooperatives in curriculum and educational programmes are some of the activities.
Cooperatives work alongside, and are considered by some to be part of, the private sector. The private sector, including Fair Trade, work with cooperatives as suppliers and buyers. As partners they can engage in communications and activities linking common goals such as:
- disseminate information on the IYC;
- participate in the National Committee;
- organize training programmes, research and development initiatives;
- present experiences in dealing with cooperatives
Civil Society Organizations
Many civil society organizations (CSOs) providing social services often have close ties with cooperatives. Partnerships with CSOs could provide the necessary networks that could support the IYC.
National and local media can assist in raising awareness about cooperatives and the IYC through press releases, newspaper articles and film documentaries.